If you plan to visit Rome you must do these things.
This is not a guide of places to visit, but instead a list of things that you should experience if you choose to visit the Italian capital.
1) Travel to the Campo de’ Fiori at first light in the morning. Take some bread to dip in to the olive oils and balsamic vinegars which are all on offer at the market there every day.
2) If you are planning to send postcards to friends and family back home, do not just post them anywhere. Head over to Vatican City, so your postcards arrive with an authentic Vatican City postal mark.
3) About mid-morning start to talk up to Gianicolo Hill, where at midday the cannon fires. The firing of the cannon has been done every day since the battle for Rome was won. You will also have the opportunity to take in the stunning sights of all of Rome from the top of the Gianicolo Hill. It really is breathtaking.
4) Visit the Jewish Ghetto to sample the fresh bread, pastries and other fine baked goods.
5) If you plan to take a walk around the Vatican Museum, purchase a ‘jump the queue’ ticket. You will avoid the big groups, tours and the rest of the hoards on your way around. Leaving you to enjoy every second in there.
6) Take a trip up to the Piazza Madonna dei Monti in the Monti district, and buy a beer and an authentic Italian pizza.
7) Do you often think of yourself as Russell Crowe in Gladiator? He did not have the chance to attend Gladiator School, something in which you can do here.
8) If history and archaeology is more your thing, you can watch the ancient remains of Roman houses be brought back to life through technology. The lasers and sound effects make it all seem very real. It is great for families and provides not just entertainment, but also educates.
9) When visiting Rome, try and see some art exhibitions or visit one of the many art galleries. The Galleria Borghese offers you the chance to see artworks by Berninin, Caravaggio and Titian.
10) Rome offers some amazing architecture to its visitors, especially in the EUR zone where you can see the fascist architecture and get great hotel deals with Venere.
11) If you want a piece of authentic ancient Roman life, visit the Roman Civilization Museum.
12) Want to see all of Rome from just one place? It is possible. Just head over the National Monument of Victor Emmanuel II, or the Wedding Cake building as it is sometimes known, and take the elevator to the top. Here you will be able to take in the panoramic view of the entire city.
13) There is so much of Rome to see, and you can take in another view of the city at the Knights of Malta Keyhole, situated on Aventine Hill.
14) You will not be able to experience the true Italian Job in a Mini, but it is recommended that you hire a scooter and drive around the city to take in the Italian Bars.
(Thanks to Matt Chan for the image, via Flickr)