The need for sustainable fishing is perhaps greater than any other aspect of fishing in order to preserve the biodiversity of oceans. The absence of proper regulations has led to depletion of vast extent of marine life. To think that the oceans are vast enough to supply to the never ending greed of mankind is a huge mistake. Statistics show that fishermen remove an astounding amount of wildlife from the sea every year. The figure is in the range of around 77 billion kilograms (170 billion pounds)! Conservationists have long been ringing the warning bell that at this rate within a few decades the oceans will be depleted of their biodiversity. It is a grave danger that mankind is bringing on unto itself. Here are the various key methods to practice sustainable fishing. It is necessary to remember that every single fish counts at this point. The marine life is in great danger and so is all other forms of life , as all forms of lives are interdependent. Presented here are the key methods of practicing sustainable fishing.
- Catch fish by hook and lining: This is the conventional method where you use a fishing pole with one line and several hooks. Fishermen should and must release the unwanted catch from the hooks and release the fish into the water.
- Using lead free tackles: Most fishing sinkers and jigs have lead in them. This causes lead poisoning in fishes, and also lead poisoning in the birds that feed on the fishes. Lead free tackles are available and they should be used.
- Ban unsustainable methods of fishing: Highly invasive fishing practices like trawling, dredging and gillnetting should be completely banned if we are serious about saving our marine biodiversity.
- Harpooning: If you want to catch fish, catch them by harpooning. It is exciting and gives you the thrill of hunting the sea creature.
- Traps: The use of traps is more or less a sustainable practice of fishing. These floating traps do not harm either the fish or the environment. However, wire mesh traps should be banned as they can damage the ocean floor.
- Trolling is another method of catching individual fishes. In this method individual anchor lines are cast from a moving boat. The minimal bycatch and the fact that the fishes can be quickly released makes this a sustainable process of fishing.
- Catch and release: Fishermen should be trained and legally regulated to practice catch and release of fishes that would be able to live reproduce and create more fishes. However, if you have caught an invasive species, you are advised not to release the fish. For catch and release and for general fishing, it is recommended to use circle hooks that are least likely to catch the gut of a fish.
- Don’t throw waste into the water: Wastes should not be disposed off in the water. This is a huge problem, the problem of floating wastes, especially plastic.
You are recommended to be aware of the fact that the marine eco system of the world is in great danger of being exhausted and ruined otherwise if the current practices of fishing continues. To prevent this from happening, you are requested to practice sustainable fishing.
Author Bio : This article Best Sustainable Practice fishing is written by Christina Maria, for http://www.fishjumanji.com/ Christina is a experienced writer. She writer article related to fishing on various topics likes Yacht Charters, Fishing Tours & Sailing Charters Miami, Catch more about Sailing Charters Miami here http://www.fishjumanji.com/sailfishing