As unpredictable the weather is in the UK, we all know the old saying…
“There’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!”
We’re made of much tougher stuff in the Lake District and a little rain doesn’t put us off our hikes, bike rides and everything in between.
But if you can’t bear the thought of stepping out to embrace the puddles, here’s a guide to the best rainy days out in the area:
1. Aira Force – This part of the Ullswater Valley actually improves with the rain! The waterfalls and large leafed canopies take on an almost ethereal state when the light Lake District rain falls. Don’t miss this magical experience and certainly don’t be put off by the weather! Suit up and enjoy!
2. The Puzzling Place – Home to all manner of weird and freaky optical illusions, the ‘World of Illusion’ is a pleasingly fascinating day out for everybody. You won’t believe your eyes at the array of illusions and puzzles in store for you.
Give your body a rest and your brain a workout and prepare to be amazed!
3. Zeffirellis Cinema and Jazz Cafe Bar – Zeffirellis is one of the most vegan-friendly cinemas in the UK. Catch the latest art-house films, chill out in the cool café bar or take some time out to get to a contemporary jazz show.
With events, special offers and even a ‘Vegeterranean’ restaurant downstairs, Zeffirellis in Ambleside is a perfectly unique visit.
4. The World of Beatrix Potter – Bring your favourite Peter Rabbit tales to life at this beautiful and exciting attraction in Bowness-on-Windermere. See where Beatrix Potter dreamed up her most iconic and famous characters and enjoy a stroll around Mr McGregor’s garden before stopping for afternoon tea in their little tearooms.
5. The Pencil Museum Don’t be put off by the name, The Pencil Museum in Keswick is a great all-weather attraction for the whole family.
See the world’s longest colour pencil, be amazed by the gadgetry of the James Bond style World War II pencil. Follow the fascinating history of pencil making and see the all the lovingly restored machinery. Learn how we get lead in to pencils today and let the kids’ imaginations run free in the Art Studio.
With tonnes to see and do all year round, holidays in the Lake District are never dull come rain or shine.